Friday, September 27, 2013

Restoration Ecology assignment


Abel Lara, My Experience with Restoration Ecology
My experience in the field of Restoration Ecology was one of a kind. With my fellow classmates we watered plants, planted acorns, and removed shrub. All of these actions required time and the effort of the group as a whole. Together however we got a lot done. We were able to remove quite a bit of shrub, even though in comparison to all the shrub it is quite minimal. In any case it makes a difference. So, yes it is necessary and worthwhile to contribute to nature by removing invasive species, planting seeds that are native to the ecosystem ,and watering plants. If everyone could do whatever it is they can to contribute to the restoration of an ecosystem or maintain nature in general, each contribution would add up and make a difference. The benefits of Restoration Ecology are many but a few I can list are without a healthy ecosystem people would cease to exist, because we depend on primary producers such as plants who derive their energy not just from the sun but water and CO2 therefore it is crucial that we keep these native plants alive and the invasive species who just block the way: keep them out. I think that the most important thing i got out of this trip was that a lot of people are ignorant of the ecosystem. And I have learned to be more conscious of nature. I will certainly apply what I have learned to contribute to nature, because in the end it will benefit me and my fellow people.*
*



1 comment:

  1. Hi Abel, do you have pictures to share with your post? I would like to "see" the field trip through your experience...thanks!

    ReplyDelete